Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ben comes a'calling

A couple summers ago a guy in my singles ward asked me out on a date.  His name was Ben, he was older than me by a couple of years (but let's face it, most of the guys in my singles ward were way older than me.  I was a youngin' for that ward) but he was funny and smart and pretty well off (guy was a rocket scientist.  Seriously.)  The date was fun, for the most part.  We went to a sporting event and our team won.  I had fun supporting the team and cheering at the top of my lungs with Ben.  I was turned off, however, when it was announced that the tickets from that game would be good at a local restaurant for the next week for a free burger.  Normally that wouldn't be a turn off; I love food.  However, Ben announced how excited he was to take those two tickets, his and mine, to use them to take another girl from our ward on a date that weekend.  

I had assumed we would use them to get some post-game grub, but apparently I didn't even have a claim on my own ticket.  Granted, he paid for them, but it was still rude.  Since then, I've been disinclined to go on another date with Ben.  I mean, seriously, who talks about future dates with other people while on a date?  Not my first topic of conversation.  

Ben is the kind of guy who'll comment on everything I post on Facebook with something witty and flirty for a couple weeks, then go completely AWOL and not talk to me for a couple months.  I don't really mind, I've never been really attracted to him, he's just a friend.  These past couple weeks, however, he's been pretty adamant about posting how cute I look in pictures, how I'm so funny, etc.  Out of the blue, he texted me and told me he was in Utah for the weekend but had no plans.  He hasn't ever been to Rexburg and, essentially, he invited himself up for a visit.

I'm fairly certain I'm the only person Ben knows here.  I now have the responsibility to entertain him for the weekend and I'm not really ready for that.  I was planning on baking and writing papers all day, but now I have the obligation of going out and about to show this guy what's so great about Rexburg.  I love this town, I really do, but I'd rather enjoy it at my leisure, rather than be forced out my apartment on the weekend to show around some guy who was blatantly rude on a date.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. False. You have no obligation to do anything for him. If he wants to be a man instead of a little girl, he can ask you on a date. It's ok for him to ask you for ideas since he doesn't know the town. But it's not ok for him to expect you to waste your whole day with him so that he can makeout with your roommate afterwards or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully he didn't say anything about my roommates.

      I'll be honest, though, if he had asked me on a date, I would have declined. He didn't treat me like a lady the first time around, so he probably wouldn't treat me like a lady a second time around.

      Delete