Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tinder Take Two

I caved. Even after the disaster that was Tiny Tim, I swore off Tinder dates. I told myself I'd only use it for that ego boost that happens every time it pops up with "It's a match!" and to occasionally get my flirt on. So when I started talking to Landon about three weeks ago, I wasn't thinking I'd ever meet him, even if he seemed like a really nice guy.

But last Friday he suggested we grab dinner and then hot tub or something else. I figured I had nothing to lose and he seemed like a decent dude who was at least 5'8, so I said yes. I was nervous before he came to pick me up, mostly because I don't like the idea of online dating. I don't like it, yet there I was about to embark on a date with a guy I met on one of the shallowest dating (let's be honest-hook up) app on the market. Okay, maybe that's not true. I think Hot or Not probably takes the cake on being incredibly shallow, though I don't know if it's very successful at helping people date...

Anyway, Landon took me out for Mexican food. I told him I was game for any kind of food, so he picked the place and he gave me a good recommendation as to what to order. It was really refreshing to have a guy who was willing to make a decision for a date and go for it. His conversation was also really refreshing. He was super down to earth and super nice! We talked about a variety of things, ranging from family, missions, work, school, and even the Gospel. And even though it's a little taboo for the first date, we talked about our thoughts on gay marriage. Yeah, Landon is a pretty rad dude.

After dinner we went back to my apartment and we went hot tubbing. Normally I wouldn't strip down to my swim suit on a first date, but it's summer and it was a great night for hot tubing, so I allowed it. We chatted about family, school, and such. Normal conversation, not quite as interesting as the dinner conversation.

After a while of sitting in the hot tub Landon offered me a massage. I didn't freak out, but we had previously talked about our favorite ways to wind down after a long day and I mentioned hot tubbing and he mentioned massages. That's how we ended up in the hot tub....and that's how we ended up exchanging back massages. He's good. Either that or I just don't get massages often enough. Right around then, there wasn't much talking going on.

Yeah, I get that massaging is relaxing and whatnot, but I don't really like when conversation dies on a first date. The only exception would be if I've known the guy for a long time. Me and Landon? Yeah, we still have a lot of getting to know each other to do.

The date was good. I enjoyed talking to him. We had fun! And when he sent me a post date text thanking me for a fun evening, I was smiling and happy. But there's something missing. I don't know if it's that I'm waiting for the same kind of insane butterflies I felt with Kirk last summer or if I really just am not isn't Landon as more than a friend. I don't know. He seems really into me and I want to give him a chance.

To be continued...

1 comment: