Sunday, September 8, 2013

Ring Check

It should be required by law to wear a wedding band or engagement ring, even if you're a guy. Actually, especially if you're a guy. I can't tell you how many times, both in Utah and at BYU-Idaho, I did a ring check on a guy, he wasn't wearing one, so I proceeded to flirt up a storm. And then it takes them forever to mention their fiance or wife! I don't understand it. All men should have to wear a ring as indication that they are not fair game. It would save us flirty girls a bit of embarrassment.

I started a new job here in Utah. I love it, it keeps me busy, it pays the bills, and I have a really fun, attractive coworker. Most of the people who work there are married girls, so when I noticed that this guy didn't have a ring, I got a little excited and turned up the flirting. His name is Anthony. He's one of the managers and our positions end up interacting a lot when it's a busy day, so he and I are always helping each other out and getting things done.

We work in a restaurant, so things are tight back where we're moving around and getting food out and Anthony and I are always dancing around each other trying to be quick and efficient. Completely on accident, my hand will brush his as we pass by each other and he'll say something like, "What are you trying to do, hold my hand??" and laugh and smile his cute smile at me. We tease each other nonstop.

Yesterday a freak monsoon came out of nowhere and hit right as he and I were both getting off work. I usually take the bus, but the bus system was all messed up because of football traffic, the rain, and downed power lines. My roommate said it would take her forever to come get me, so Anthony offered me a ride. I accepted, since it's only about a ten minute ride and it would be way better than waiting for my roommate. Our conversation was really good and he was asking me all kinds of questions about school and life and dating. He asked if I was single and teased me a little bit. Then we hit traffic, since the roads were flooded.

The ten minute drive ended up taking an hour and a half. About half an hour into it Anthony mentioned that he's got a wife. And then he mentioned that he has kids! It just about blew my mind and I suddenly felt extremely awkward. Awkward for another hour! Not only did I feel bad that driving me home was taking so long and that I had been flirting with a married man, but also that I was keeping him from getting home to his kids and wife. I can't even describe to you how awful I felt.

This is why men need to wear rings. I'm probably going to ask my fiance to wear a ring when we're engaged and I'm most certainly going to have him wear a ring when we're married. What's the point of a ring check if half the married men don't wear rings? C'mon, dudes! Get your act together!

4 comments:

  1. To be honest, this guy sounds like he married too young and is too immature to be married. A married man should NEVER allow a woman to flirt with him, flirt back, among other things. I feel sorry for his wife.

    While I wear my CTR ring on my left hand because it fits better, my fiance doesn't mind, and I don't blame her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree with you more! I have already decided that if my future husband doesn't feel the need to wear a ring, I'm not going to wear one either! I mean seriously, shouldn't you want people to know you're married?! It drives me absolutely insane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha oh my word this had me laughing out loud. SO not okay!! I felt awkward for you just reading this.. Hope you got home sooner than later. I'd still be shocked 3 days later that he wasn't wearing a ring or "failed" to mentioned that he has a wife and kids?! Bleh!

    -Mikell
    thegordongoodlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally random, but yay! I officially caught up!

    ReplyDelete