Tuesday, April 17, 2012

BYU I do

Out of nowhere, Nate has disappeared.  I don't know whether it's just because he's busy with the new semester, but he is literally MIA.  No facebook activity, no response to texts, nothing.  I don't want to take it personally, but it's super out of character for him. Oh well, if he wants me, he can come get me.

Here are a few things I've been hearing recently about the people at BYUI:


  • The guys are too afraid of commitment
  • The girls are too easy
  • Hanging out is ruining dating (Did anyone listen to President Clarke's devo talk today?)
  • Dating is too overrated

 I know plenty of girls who go on tons of dates and have boys who want to date them, but they, for whatever reason, have a strong aversion to actually picking a guy and sticking with him.  What gives, ladies?  We complain all the time that none of the guys here at BYUI want to date us when, in reality, we're not dating the ones that want to commit, so why should they commit to us?  
At the same time, I feel as though the girls here that do allow themselves to be easy pickings for NCMOs and no strings attached cuddle sessions are the girls that think that's the only way to get a guy interested.  From observation, the girls that put out, so to speak, are the ones that go on more dates simply because they are willing to be easy.  I don't necessarily believe that's the girl's fault, since it's the boys that continue to ask these skanks out all the time, thus continuing the cycle of easy, not committed girls.  Gah!  It's SUCH A MESS.  

Boys!  Start being gentlemen and don't try to get in our pants so quick!  Ask girls out on dates, treat us like ladies, pursue the one girl you're really interested in, ask her to be your girlfriend, and then kiss and cuddle with her.

Girls, stop being commitment-phobes and give these decent guys a chance!  Whining that you don't have a boyfriend and that the boys are lazy isn't going to get you anywhere.  Boys don't want to date whiners (boys, am I right?  Whining is unattractive.)  Don't be easy, make the guy work.  After all, the chase is one of the best parts of a relationship.  

On dating and hanging out....well, Elder Oaks probably put it best in his CES fireside called Dating verses Hanging Out (quoted in today's devotional) so ya'll should take a moment to read that.  It's a great talk.  The segment in there where he talks about what a date should be (inexpensive and non threatening) is something that I think ties into dating being overrated.  Dating shouldn't be a grand, long process.  It should be simple and happen naturally.  As a culture we've turned dating into this big ordeal where the guy has to be super creative with the asking out and the date, while the girl thinks it's practically a marriage proposal.  It's ruining what dating should be.

I could go on forever, but I will refrain.   
Hit me up on Twitter if there's something specific you want me to blog about.  I love hearing from you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment