Saturday, May 25, 2013

I've got beef

Gentlemen, I have a beef with you.

I had a conversation with a friend recently that started off with him asking me to find out if a girl in our ward has a boyfriend. Wingman request. Generally you can find this kind of information easily from a quick Facebook search, so I'm a little puzzled as to why he didn't do that, but that's beside the point.

Before I share the conversation we had with you, you have to know that this is a guy who previously asked me to set him up with this girl. I declined, partly because I had just met her that day and partly because he's a man who's fully capable of asking a girl out on a date, which was made evident to me when he asked out nearly every single girl in my apartment last Fall.

I bet you can guess that he never asked her out. Because he's a pansy.

Here's the conversation. I was a little abrasive, but considering this guy only comes to me when he wants information about another girl, I don't feel an loyalty as a friend to be anything but blunt.


First of all, why is there this huge chain of asking a friend to ask a friend to ask a friend if she has a boyfriend? Are we in middle school? And why the need for such secrecy? This text felt so juvenile in all aspects. Considering I had already told his kid I wouldn't ask a girl out for him, it seemed pretty lame to come back asking me to set his friend up with the same girl. Come ON!


You have to keep in mind that I don't even know this girl all that well. Yeah, we work together in our callings, but we're not friends and we don't hang out. We've hardly talked about our personal lives with each other, so I don't even think she'd buy the story that I want to set her up with someone. And let's face it, I don't buy the story that he wasn't asking for himself. He wants her. 


Again, why is it so important that no one knows this guy is interested in this girl? This isn't middle school.


Here's where we get into the beef I have with you men. I know it doesn't apply to all of you, but I feel like too many men around BYU-Idaho don't want to step up and ask girls out. I get that you're nervous, I get that you fear rejection. But really, what's the worst that could come of it? A bad date? At least you showed courage and went after someone who interested you! STOP ACTING LIKE YOU'RE IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.


I got carried away here. I was just so frustrated with this guy's inability to be a man! Seriously, dude. If you're going to ignore my advice to ask this girl out at the beginning of the semester, don't come asking me later to find out information you could already know if you had grown some BALLS and been a man.


There you have it. 

Come on, guys. Be men. Ask girls out on dates. Don't let fear keep you from happiness, or dating. Or both. 

Completely unrelated, sometimes I think my sarcasm doesn't translate via text. It's a little frustrating. I just want to flirt with you, OKAY? Geeze.



No comments:

Post a Comment