Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hasty Generalizations

There have been a few objections to Scott's post, claiming that he made "hasty generalizations" and that girls ought not be judged that way.

First of all, it was an opinion piece written by Scott based on his own experiences. I understand the fallacy and that his post doesn't apply to all girls, but come on. Have you met girls at this school? We're freaking crazy. We definitely over think things and jump to conclusions. Don't think that girl just judged your level of dateablity because you only just met her? THINK AGAIN! She probably won't admit it, but she judged you. Girls at BYU-Idaho always have dating on the brain because we have been trained to think that way. It's a subconscious thing we all do. We all have our own personal dateability scale that we measure each guy against. I mean, come on, it's human nature to meet someone of the opposite sex and judge them on whether or not they'd make a good mate. AmIright? I think I'm right.

Secondly, what's with the attacks on Scott? I'm fairly certain I've made some pretty outrageous claims regarding the behavior of both men and women, yet I'm not being called out. It's good to get some criticism, but I think it's a little unfair to jump on the guest blogger and leave me unscathed. It just doesn't make sense to me why that post caused such an uproar, especially when you people don't comment regularly.

Thirdly, GIRLS ARE CRAZY. Girls at BYU-Idaho are especially crazy. It's the culture here. Not only are we already part of the marry-young-and-start-a-family Mormon culture, but it's additionally the BYU-I do culture. We are practically suffocating with pressure to date and get married. How can girls up here not judge a guys dating potential upon first meeting him? So not only are girls crazy, but we have all these cultural things reinforcing our crazy. Awesome.

Story time. It doesn't really have a lot of relevance to this post, but it's a funny story and it goes to show that girls are INSANE.

A few semesters ago I made an accidental friend. Let's call her Megan. Megan is a special kind of girl who, quite frankly, terrifies me. She legitimately terrifies me. She's heavy. She's loud. She's obnoxious. She's not afraid to jump into your life. Seriously, out of nowhere Megan started coming over to my apartment, telling me all the dark stories of her spotty past, crying her eyes, asking for advice. To the day I don't know what I did that made Megan feel like it would be cool if she invaded my life with her drama.

Megan had all the guys in the ward terrified of her. She would stop by their apartments unannounced, invite herself in, and then never leave. She'd stand in the door way, laughing and joking (not funny, ever), slowly inching her way farther into the apartment, boys cowering in the corners. Megan and I were BFFs, at least that's what she told everyone. I didn't really want her crazy as part of my life, but I've been cursed with a soft heart and the inability to get rid of toxic friends. That's how I became friends with Megan, the craziest, most unstable person I've ever met. One day she'd be happy and bubbly and excited for life, the next she would be crying hysterically, telling me she didn't know if she believed in the church or if life was worth it. Yeah, she terrified me.

There was a guy in our ward who Megan was crushing on hard. She told everyone they were dating. She bombarded him with texts all the time. He would try and stop her advances, going so far as to lock the door, turn off the lights, and close the blinds every time she came around. Megan had this guy too scared to leave his apartment because she would literally wait outside for him so they could talk about their "relationship." She told me all about how they were talking about getting married. She told me the names they had picked out for their kids. None of it was true, it was all in her head. But she believed it. Eventually she dropped out of school and moved home, which I admit was a huge relief because I was drained.

But you know what? There are other girls out there who do this. Megan isn't the only one to be this delusional and crazy. There are girls who latch onto guys and refuse to accept reality. There are girls who believe that every single guy wants to marry them.

It's terrifying.

Watch your back.

1 comment: