Sunday, August 19, 2012

Too soon?

Here's a question for you: How soon is too soon to drop the "L" word in a relationship?  Or mention marriage?

In my previous relationships I don't remember how long it took for myself or my significant other to tell the other that they loved them. I wish I remembered, but somehow it evades me. Regardless of when we said it or who said it first, I know that I didn't really feel real love for those guys, I just said it because that's what you're supposed to do in a relationship and I thought I was in love. Maybe I was, at least to some degree... Anyway, now that I'm dating Kirk (we're official-yay!!!) I haven't known how intensely he's feeling about me other than that he's wanted to be with me all the time. Thats a good sign, right?

I'd be lying to myself if I didn't admit that I already know he's the kind of man I want to marry and that I probably wouldnt hesitate to say "Yes!!!" if he asked me tomorrow to marry him. It's a terrifying feeling to know so soon in a relationship the potential that he possesses. Yet at the same time, it feels different and it feels right, moreso than it's ever felt with any guy before. I feel a deep connection and admiration for the man he is. There's so many things about him that are mature and grown up, very well put together. The one thing that melts me more than anything else is that he is so incredibly kind and aware of those around him. His level of concern for the happiness of those around him is quite high and I like that.

I love that Kirk is a hard worker, that he has a kind heart, and that he is laid back and fun. Also, he's really handsome. Every time I look at him I think, "Awww yeah, that's my super hot boyfriend." I want to spend all my time with him and I can't wait until we're up at school together where there's not a couple of cities between us, making the time we see each other less. There are all these awesome things about Kirk and I know he's got a lot of potential. When is it appropriate to bring up love? Or marriage?

My biggest fear with him right now is that I'll finally mention to him that I'd be okay marrying someone like him--I wouldn't go so far as to tell him I want to marry him. That's definitely too much too soon,but I don't think it'll be too much to say I would marry someone like him...--and that it will freak him out and he'll hightail it out of this relationship without looking back. In a way I know it's kind of irrational for me to think that he's going to leave as suddenly as most of the guys I've dated or been interested in, but that's what I'm used to. I want so badly to hint to him that I think he's wonderful and I'm hopeful he thinks the same of me, but I don't want to scare him off by bringing it up too soon in our relationship.

Less than a month in is probably too soon. But then again, some couples 'round the Rexburg parts get engaged this soon in their relationship... As for saying "I love you", I've decided to let him take the lead on that one.  I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting for him to say he loves me.

 Kirk really is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment