Sunday, June 3, 2012

Men being Men

I've been thinking about how I want to write this blogpost and I can't seem to find a start that I'm happy with.

The short of it is this: Garrison has made a move.

It was late on Tuesday night and I was up to my eyeballs in studying for a midterm I had on Wednesday.  To be fair, it wasn't a really demanding midterm, but I take my studies seriously (after all, I'm paying for school) and I wanted to get a good grade, so I was studying hard.  Garrison sent me a text, which I didn't get for about an hour because I was so absorbed by reviewing for this exam.  When I finally glanced at my phone and noticed the text saying, "Want to watch a movie tonight?" I responded quickly that I would love to, but I was studying for a midterm.  His response was something equivalent to textual puppy dog eyes, which I can't resist. Seriously, if a guy makes puppy dog eyes at me and asks me sweetly to do something, I'm pretty much good as gone.

So despite curfew fast approaching and my midterm looming the next day, I allowed Garrison to come over and watch a movie with me on one condition: I had to be permitted to multitask and study for however long I needed to.  That was the agreement, but as soon as we put the movie in, he turned off the lights and slung his legs up on the couch, impinging on my study space.  His legs are about a mile long; there's no avoiding them when you sit on the same couch as Garrison.  The legs weren't my problem, though, I can deal with a little physical contact.  It was the lights out that was detrimental to my feeble attempt to study.

After a moment or two, it dawned on him that he had completely thrown out my condition for watching the movie, so he flipped the lights on and sat back down, legs all up in my business again, then patted me on the knee for being such a good student.  I smiled at him and gave him the whole, "Well, I'm paying for it, so I might as well try" speech and he flashed me his big, toothy smile and rubbed my knee again.

I don't know if I can adequately describe what was going on in my head at this moment.  I haven't watched a movie with a guy in quite awhile.  There's always a roommate or a friend around, it's never just two of us and never just two of us sitting in close proximity on a couch.  I still haven't decided what I think of Garrison.  His roommates don't really like him, mostly because he's got little quirks that they don't like and he likes to play video games (though he's not as much the gamer as Jake) and maybe sometimes he comes off as a little Peter Priesthoody, but I haven't noticed that.  Apparently his taste in music is horrible, but one of the first songs he played for me on our group Porter Park days was one from one of my very favorite bands!  His taste in music can't be all that bad...  I think Garrison is cute and fun, but awkward.  I don't know what his intentions are, but he's certainly taking the lead on this.

Once I finally finished reviewing everything I could possibly review, I allowed him to turn off the lights.  He flipped the switch, got on the couch, swung his feet up even more on the couch than before, causing me to be completely squished.  Then he said, "Scoot over."  I was kinda taken off guard at the command.  I mean, I was sitting here first, I'm not going to scoot over so he can take over the whole couch with his ginormously long legs.  No way, ain't gonna happen!  But, after I made space for his legs, he made space for me, lifted his arm and said, "Now come here" and then he nestled me down between him and the back of the couch with his arms around me.

My heart was pounding, my breathing was deep.  Suddenly, the movie wasn't as important as where to put my right hand.  On his stomach?  His chest?  Tucked under my chin?  I am more out of practice than I thought.  I don't know if he could tell that I couldn't really catch my breath, but eventually I settled on midway between his chest and stomach and then concentrated on getting my breathing under control.

Then the movie finished, it was two in the morning and Garrison was walking out the door, telling me he was going home to Blackfoot for the rest of the week.  He didn't even hug me goodbye.  I don't know what that means.  For someone who isn't the player type, who's a pretty good guy, to text me and ask me to watch a movie with him, practically command me to snuggle with him, and then jet from my apartment like a bat out of hell at the end?  I don't know.  I just don't know.

On a completely other note, Jake called and asked me on a date this next week.  Seriously, when it rains, it pours.  Ladies and gents, hurr we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment