Thursday, October 10, 2013

Waters of the Web

Having a single parent is a weird thing. All of the sudden my dad wants to have dating chats with me. He wants to tell me how hard it is to go on dates and to feel like you should like someone because you know they're a good person, but you just don't feel romantically toward them. I know, Dad. I know. Please stop talking to me about dating. This is weird.

His latest thing is asking me what's wrong with the men in Provo/Idaho/all over YSA wards. 

"Why don't they ask young ladies out on dates?"
"How do you date people if the men aren't doing their job and asking?"
"Why is hanging out such a big thing?"
"I don't understand why you're still single"
"Those young men should be asking you out."

DAD. STOP. This is worse than the time I was dating Kirk and my Dad was dating a woman he was thinking about marrying. "We could have a double wedding, Leslie! How great would that be?" Nice try, but I'm having my own wedding day.

I'm getting off on a tangent. Apparently this whole Dad thing is weighing on my mind a little bit more than I realized. Anyway...

I had a conversation with my dad last weekend about dating, like we usually do these days, and he asked me what my thoughts are on internet dating. Oh boy, big question. We live in a modern age, right? People are turning to internet dating more and more. Is it because we have busier schedules? Because we're more comfortable hiding behind a computer screen than actually approaching someone and striking up a conversation? I don't know, maybe it's just becoming less and less and more, well, normal. Whatever the reason, more and more people are turning to internet dating.

A couple weeks ago my roommate and I were watching TV and an add for Match.com came on. "Hey Leslie," she said, turning to me "I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna set up a Match.com profile!" I didn't think she was serious, but a few minutes later she told me she had decided not to because that site costs money. Instead of paying money for internet dating, she and I decided that we'd both set up accounts on a free site. It was kind of weird at first, answering all sorts of questions about myself and my dating habits, but then I told myself that it's not really much different than Tinder and it's not like I'm going to be seriously using it, so I might as well have fun.

So accounts were set up. Profiles were filled out. Pictures were uploaded. Let the online dating games begin.

My inbox was flooded with messages, but most of them were from creepers. Apparently if you're not LDS living in Utah, you internet date. And, if you're not LDS and you're internet dating, it is a prerequisite to be a complete creeper. Yeah, lots of guys were disregarded and I almost deactivated my account because it felt like a lost cause. However, through talking to a handful of men I ended up talking to two guys who are really pretty awesome.

One guy, Dylan, is super normal and really interesting. He's LDS and active. He's smart, funny, and into a lot of the same music that I am. We've talked about meeting up with each other but we haven't made nay definite plans yet. We'll see!

The second guy is Jarom. He's a third grade teacher and he's a firecracker. He served his mission in Paris and is a food enthusiast, like myself. Jarom and I went on a date on Monday night. He picked me up and we went on a drive through the Provo canyon to see all the Fall foliage. It was simple and really fun! He's got a huge personality. He's kind of a theater type person in the sense that he speaks with melody  in his voice and sometimes sings or uses an accent. I used to be more like that in high school but since then I've mellowed out. Still, it was fun being with someone who reminded me of my younger, crazier self.

Here's the weird thing about my date with Jarom: It ended well. He took me home and he opened the car door and we shared a nice, lingering hug goodbye. He thanked me for a nice time. A few hours later I sent him a text thanking him for taking me out...and I haven't heard anything from him since. I'm trying not to be disappointed, but I am a little saddened.

I don't know. Maybe internet dating just isn't something I should be spending any time on. Sorry, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment