Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Truth Comes Out

Do you want to know the real reason why I sometimes stop blogging?

This is hard for me to admit, but I think it's finally time I own up and say it: blogging makes me depressed. Things were going so great with Elliott and I was really looking forward to getting to know him more. He was exactly the kind of guy I want to be with. But then we had a DTR and he admitted to me that he really wanted there to be a spark between us, but he didn't feel it. I know I only went on three dates with the guy, but that was a blow. I was really, really upset. I haven't been that upset in a long time. I called my dad and broke down. All my dad could say was, "Oh, Leslie. I'm so so sorry. That hurts so much. I'm so sorry."

Hearing my father's sympathy pushed me over the edge. I realized that I was focusing so much on the idea of finding Mr. Right and getting my happily ever after. I'm surrounded by other Mormon girls who are fulfilling expectations of getting married young and starting a family, but I'm still searching for that one and everything seems to be a dead end. I know I have other things in life going for me, but it still hurts. It hurts to be rejected, especially when it's someone who seems so good.

I didn't want to feel that way anymore. I stopped blogging for a couple months because every date I went on ended up being just another first date after which he never would ask me out again. I can't even begin to explain the affect this had on my self worth. In my mind, so many first dates and no second dates translates as there being something wrong with me. My not being good enough. My being destined to live my life alone. Blogging about all my failures in dating was dragging me down, so I stopped.

Since I stopped, I've been focusing more on myself and my work and my happiness. I've been reading more, doing more yoga, and cooking more for enjoyment. I realized my job wasn't getting my anywhere and it was taking advantage of me, so I went out and found a new job. I'm starting a new job that is going to present daily challenges, but the kind of challenges that I need in order to grow and gain more confidence.

I'm getting my ducks in a row. I got a cat and I love him, but that doesn't mean I've resigned myself to being a crazy cat lady (despite whatever I might have tweeted.)

The story is for another post, but I've met someone. His name is Braden and he makes me so happy. You'll hear about him soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment